Stay fit and healthy for the holidays. When I was still a trainer and also when I owned my Pilates studio, this was the time of year when I would slowly see my clientele waning. Oh sure, everyone started the month raring to go, but then something would come up and then they’d be tired and pretty soon everyone stopped kidding themselves and we’d agree to meet up again after the holidays.
Here’s the thing though, there’s absolutely no reason not to stay healthy over the holidays and that doesn’t mean torturing yourself. You will not need to deprive yourself of anything and you will not need to spend everyday at the gym.
December should be a month of upkeep. We’ll worry about starting the New Year’s resolutions in a few weeks. For now, bookmark this page because it’s the only thing you’ll need to keep you healthy through this hectic (but super fun) season.
STAY FIT AND HEALTHY FOR THE HOLIDAYS
5 DAY WORKOUT PLAN
MONDAY Legs & Abs
- Single Leg Stretch
- Rond de Jamb (leg circles)
- Explosive Lunges
TUESDAY Chest & Arms
- Cross Jabs
- Push ups
- Overhead Press
- Standing Chest Press
- Toe Dips
- Crunches with a Twist
- Side Lying V
THURSDAY Biceps & Triceps
- Triceps Dips
- Biceps Curls
- Lateral Raises
- Forward Raises
FRIDAY Back & Abs
- Seated Rows
- Back Extensions
- Lat Pull Down
- Reverse Crunch
None of these workouts should take very long and you can split them up throughout your day if needed. Also, you can easily do them at home, all you need is a resistance band or even some water bottles that you can use as weights.
BEST TRAVEL WORKOUT
Now some of you may be joining the masses of travelers this holiday season. No problem, I have all of you covered as well. The following workout was designed to be done in a small hotel (or guest) room. You can do all of these exercises with almost no space and using only what you have (as in, no equipment necessary). Learn the exercises here: BEST TRAVEL WORKOUT
HOW TO EAT BEFORE A PARTY
- The day before. Make sure your diet is light and filled with protein and complex carbs while keeping salt to a minimum.
- The morning of. Have a healthy breakfast and throw in a quick workout.
- The afternoon of. Hydrate and then hydrate some more while filling your plate with healthy fats (think salmon and avocado) as well as protein.
- Right before. Make sure to have a healthy snack so that you don’t overindulge when faced with party food.
- At the party. Space out the alcohol with water and don’t skip the veggies. Don’t deny yourself but reach only for the foods that you really, really love.
For more read: WHAT TO EAT BEFORE A PARTY
The holidays are about spending time with friends and family and hopefully getting a chance to relax. Don’t let your weight be a factor, even if you gain a pound or two there’s always time to lose it afterwards.