How To Deal With Bloating
How to deal with bloating. We all have those days when we wake up feeling like crap. Maybe last night we had a little too much to drink or perhaps we ate too much, or the food was too salty and now the pants are snug and it feels like we’ve gained about a hundred pounds. It happens to the best of us.
Look, I get it, this isn’t a very sexy subject, but if we want to look and feel our best then it’s super important to know how to deal with it.
HOW TO DEAL WITH BLOATING
The first thing we should talk about is how to keep bloating down on a daily basis. I wrote an in-depth article about that which you can read here: 6 TIPS TO STOP BLOATING but to sum it, up you need to
- Slow down your eating
- Eat smaller more frequent meals rather than larger ones
- Increase your fiber intake
- Minimize your salt intake
- Increase your intake of bloat reducing foods
- Get off your couch and move
WHAT TO EAT
No matter how good our intentions are, there will always be those mornings when we wake up not feeling our best. During those times, it’s best to reach for bloat reducing foods to help us get through the day.
- Sweet Potato
- Lemon Water
- Peppermint Tea
- Kefir (or yogurt with probiotics)
All of these ingredients are perfect breakfast foods.
- You can make a lovely omelette with avocado, sweet potatoes and asparagus
- You can try a delicious smoothie with bananas, papaya and ginger. Or even a papaya, cucumber and ginger one
DON’T FORGET TO MOVE
In the morning, start by drinking a large glass of water with either ginger or lemon (or a a peppermint tea). All of them will settle your stomach and get your digestive tract moving.
Move. While it might be very tempting to roll onto the couch or to stay in bed, it’s important to get your system up and running and light exercise will do just that.
- Breathing. First, just sit and practice some deep breathing. Inhale for 4 counts and exhale for 4 counts.
- Cat/Cow. Going onto all fours start by curling your spine on your inhale and then proceed into a big stretch arching your back on your exhale. This stretch will help stretch out your abdominal muscles. Repeat 8x.
- Seated Twist. Sitting upright, cross your right leg (leaving your foot flat on the floor) over your left knee (your leg can be straight or bent) and twist your body gently to the right. Hold for 15 seconds and switch sides.